Friday, August 12, 2005

Day 5 -- Final Waxing & Finishing

There will be one more posting after the artist's reception this Monday evening. I'll add photos of the other artist's work from four weeks of carving with Collen. All are invited to the reception - email me for details.

The final day of an amazing 5-day journey was filled with a little bit of everything. Waxing, carving, sanding, firing, laughing and shop shop cleaning.

I loved this class and discovered a great love for stone carving. I'm already inquiring about next year's "MARBLE/marble" and then perhaps Valdicastello, Italy!

I am spending the day tomorrow at the Loveland sculpture shows: Sculpture in the Park and the Loveland Sculpture Invitational. Hoping to come home with inspiration and perhaps a hundred pounds or more of raw stone. I'm hooked. Thank you, Collen and Lorri.

"Full Sail"
Within this piece you can see a centrally located sail boat surrounded by a storm (polished stone) over top billowing waves (rasp-textured stone). To the left is a dangerously close rocky shore (raw stone) with crystalline outcroppings. This "bonus" alabaster piece ended up being my favorite, though I prefer working in the harder Chlorite stone.

"Bonded"
The arms connect as one in a heart-shape form. In the lower right, a bare bottom peeks through. Tremendous contrast is available with Chlorite between the textured (very light - almost white - green) and polished (deep black) finishes.

A good bit of buffing is still required on both pieces.