Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Day 2 -- Starting a Second Piece

Today I pretty much finished the carving. Now the piece is ready for sanding, waxing and polishing. The wax and polish will turn surfaces glossy black.

I had a lot of fun with the textures (not particularly well captured with this photo). I'm pleased with how this is turning out but it's still not nearly as abstract as I had envisioned. I'm anxious to see the added contrast from polish & wax.

This is so much fun, I'm finding myself getting totally lost in it. HP is a million miles away right now. Hmmm, maybe retirement wont be so boring after all....

I'm a bit ahead of the class so I've asked Lorri if I can begin a new piece using some left-over alabaster. She graciously agreed.
This time I'm determined to create something much more abstract. In this block I see a set of full sails against a rocky shore. We'll see.....